take lab quiz
Bill gates rides the digital wave
- Microsoft started selling software for microcomputers.
- Operating System bought from other company
- Basic Compiler developed in house.
- IBM wanted to get the IBM PC's quickly to the market. No time to develop
- Microsoft worked to sell MS/DOS to IBM for only $80,000 (Non-exclusive)
- Microsoft predicted that after IBM got to the market every other
manufacturer would do the same and they all needed software.
- There were other software companies, but Microsoft succeeded in
eliminating or buying them.
- Microsoft initially neglected the importance of the Internet, but
recovered by making it the central piece in their systems
- Unfair business practices?
Input: From Person to Processor
(or ... from computer to computer)
- Pointing devices
- Reading Tools
- Optical mark readers (scantron)
- Magnetic Ink Character readers (bank checks)
- Bar Code (supermarket)
- Radio Frequency ID readers
- Scanning and OCR
- Handwriting recognition
- Digital Cameras
- Video digitizers
Output: from Pulses to people
- Screen output
- Paper output
- Sound output
- Controlling other machines
Storage Devices: Input meets Output
- Magnetic Tape
- Magnetic Disks
- Optical Disks
- Solid State Storage
- Flash memory
- USB drives